If I fell while delivering newspapers, can I sue the client for damages?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I fell while delivering newspapers, can I sue the client for damages?

I fell on some stairs that were poorly lit. I have insurance for the medical but not for time lost on my full-time job.

Asked on December 19, 2012 under Personal Injury, Washington


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If the fall occured because the stairs were unreasonably poorly lit, you may be able to successfully sue whomever is responsible for lighting in that building (which may not be the client, if the client is not the owner of the building). To have a chance of winning, you would have to prove, by a preponderance of the evidence (that it is "more likely than not") the following:

1) The stairs were not merely not as well lit as they could have been, but were so poorly lit as to cause a safety hazard.

2) Whomever was resonsible for maintenance, etc. of the stairs knew or should have known they were poorly lit.

3) You fell because of the poor lighting (e.g. you didn't happen to trip because you were running up or down the stairs, or were carrying too much).

4) The fall caused your injury (so there was no pre-existing injury, for example).

5) The injury made it impossible for you to work for some period of time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption