What to do ifI am being harassed by the police?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do ifI am being harassed by the police?

A detective started banging on my door and consistently ringing my doorbell at 5:45 am this morning. He insisted he talk to me right away. My mom told he she did not know who he was and he should please leave our front doorstep. He was dressed in plain clothing (not a uniform). He refused to show us a badge or his business card. My mom told him to leave and instead he towed my car off our driveway which is our property. Now he keeps calling me leaving messages that if I want my car back to come talk to him. Is this legal?

Asked on October 21, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

This is absolutely illegal unless of course your car had excessive tickets and was tagged to be towed anyway. If he refused to show his identification or a badge, you need to immediately contact the police and before you do, contact a criminal defense attorney about this person's behavior. Contact directly or through your attorney the internal affairs bureau of your county police department. Perhaps this person was with the tow company and not with the police. In any case, this person absolutely broke police protocol for not identifying himself or refusing to show his documentation. California is one state that comes down pretty hard on police misconduct (remember the Rampart scandal of the L.A.P.D.) so don't be afraid to push back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption