If I was discharged due to going into alcohol rehab, is that a case of wrongful termination?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I was discharged due to going into alcohol rehab, is that a case of wrongful termination?

I checked myself into a treatment facility that specializes with the LGBT community for alcohol rehab. Then, 2 weeks after I checked myself in, I received a termination from my employer where I worked for 9 months. My employment record is clean and I did not have drinking issues while at work. Would I be covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act?

Asked on January 6, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You cannot be terminated because you suffer from alchoholism. But you can be terminated for unauthorized absence, if you did not properly use FMLA leave or cover the entirety of the absence with sick leave or other PTO; employers may terminate employees who miss work without the abscence being authorized.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption