Do I have any recourse if I was falsely accused of harassment at work?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2017

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2017Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any recourse if I was falsely accused of harassment at work?

Recently, I engaged in a romantic relationship with a volunteer in my organization. Throughout the relationship I practiced proactive consent and constant understanding, love and support. The person who accused me, there are over 69 screenshots of messages that I can prove I practiced consent and understanding as well as them saying things like,

Asked on October 19, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that, absent an employment contract or union agreement to the contrary (which you did not indicate), you were an "at will" worker. This means that you could have been terminated for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice. Accordingly, you were not wrongfuly terminated unless there was some form of actionable discrimination at play (again something that you did not indicate to be the case). 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption