If I failed to show up for court on my misdemeanor charge and now have a warrant for my arrest, how can I fix this?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I failed to show up for court on my misdemeanor charge and now have a warrant for my arrest, how can I fix this?

Bail is $4,000 and I don’t want to go to jail.

Asked on January 12, 2016 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You'll have to aapear in court. Since this is a criminal charge you really should have an attorney to represent you in this. They can best negotiate the legal process with you. The fact is that warrants don't expire, so until you settle this you can be picked up at anytime. While the police may not seek you out, if you are stopped for even a speeding ticket you could end up in jail. Also, you will still need to handle the underlying charge. Again, you should seek legal counsel in this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption