If I established my Trust in one state but have moved to another, what do I need to do?

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 30, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I established my Trust in one state but have moved to another, what do I need to do?

Asked on June 30, 2015 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

 Trusts (and Wills)are valid in your new state of residence as long as it was executed ac­­­­­­­­­cording to the laws of the state in which you previously resided. Yet, even if your out-of-state Trust is still valid, it is impor­tant to have it reviewed. There may have been changes in the law and/or life circumstances that might make updating necessary. The fact is that, having these documents reviewed periodically is a good idea, even if you haven't moved.   

At this point, consulting directly with an attorney as to all of this is the best way to protect your rights and ensure a smooth administration of your estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption