What can I do if my ex-husband canceled insurance on our 2 daughters?

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 4, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my ex-husband canceled insurance on our 2 daughters?

I divorced 1 1/2 years ago; my ex-husband canceled insurance on our daughters 5 months ago. They are 21 and 19 and are both full-time college students in good standing. His employment has not changed since the divorce. Letters have been sent to employers and Insurance companies requesting the insurance be reinstated. We have not received any response. Although the protective order has expired, my daughters nor I feel comfortable contacting their father about the matter. Was it illegal for him to cancel insurance on his daughters, and if it was, how do we get it reinstated?

Asked on June 4, 2014 under Family Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am not sure if "illegal" is the correct word here.  If he was to provide insurance pursuant to your divorce settlement then you must go back to court and bring an action against him. He has breached the agreement.  Just make sure that he had to provide it past majority (generally 18) and through college at least.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption