I did not complete domestic violence classes and a warrant was issued.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I did not complete domestic violence classes and a warrant was issued.

I completed 37 of 52 classes in cal. and had to move to a rural area with no services in another state.I moved back three years later to fix this,a warrant was issued and the police have already been to my parents house looking for me due to a tip from my ex-wife.can I avoid jail if I go into court as I have no money for a lawyer at this time.what are my options as the public defender did very little which is why I took the deal to get out of jail 3 years ago.can I be reinstated to finish the program,and what type of jail time could I expect worst case?

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Criminal Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 14 years ago | Contributor

Since I don't know what you were convicted of, I can't say what your worst case is other than you are most probably facing jail time.

What you need to do know is to go to the authorities voluntarily.  If you don't you will constantly be looking over your shoulder.  And with your ex's "help" they will catch up with you sooner or later.  This time if you can afford an attorney I'd hire one, otherwise you will have to work with the public defender's office again.  Hopefully with a different attorney this time.  Anyway, don't contact the authorities without a lawyer.

With any luck, if you haven't been in any trouble since all of this happened, he will be able to reinstate the terms of your probation.  If not, then so be it.  You may just have to serve some time.  Again, without knowing what you were convicted of and other specifics of your case I can't even hazard a guess as to what that would be.  What I do know is that if your turn yourself in voluntarily it will go better for you. 

And don't think about running from this.  A warrant doesn't expire.  Even if you go to another state this will follow you.  Getting a speeding ticket or applying for a job that conducts background checks will turn this all up.  And then it will be more of a mess.

Deal with this now so that you can get on with the rest of your life.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption