I’d like to know what steps should I take to receive child support from my son’s father?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I’d like to know what steps should I take to receive child support from my son’s father?

He is a former navy man. It has been legally established that he is the biological father. He receives military disability/pension and has also been receiving benefits for our son. I understand there are legal procedures and/or exceptions to garnishing child support from former military men/women. I’m a single mother who has not been receiving any child support from a biological father claiming and receiving financial benefits for our son. His military check is in the range of $2750-$3000 monthly.

Asked on September 15, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


david slater / david p.slater, esq.

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You must file a petition with the court where you live seeking child support. The longer you wait, the more you lose.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption