What to do if I currently work at a business where I am a receptionist but they do not allow its employees to sit but i have a bad back?

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 24, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I currently work at a business where I am a receptionist but they do not allow its employees to sit but i have a bad back?

When I applied for the job it never stated anything about not being able to sit or standing for long periods of time in its job description. I have a bad back and am wondering what to do about this?

Asked on October 24, 2014 under Employment Labor Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you have medical proof of your condition (e.g. a diagnosis, report, etc. from a doctor), then your employer may have to allow you to sit: employers are required by the law to make "reasoanble accommodations" to employees' disabilities. A reasonable accomodation is a change in how a job is done, or the provision of some furniture or technological item, which is neither too expensive nor disruptive to the business. Allowing a receptionist to sit and getting him or her some sort of chair or stool would not seem to be unreasonable, so they may have to do this. If they refuse to--again, assuming you could document and prove the condition--you may be able to file a complaint with your city or state civil rights department or agency, or with the federal EEOC.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption