What do I do if I currently havea warrant out for my arrestregarding my failureto complete my probation?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What do I do if I currently havea warrant out for my arrestregarding my failureto complete my probation?

Was way depressed and stressed. Completely regret my choices. I just want to get my life back in order. I don’t have a job or money. What do I do?

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

First, you need to understand that ignoring or avoiding the situation is not going to make it better.  The longer you abscond, the worse it will look for you.  Every month that you do not report (even after the warrant is issued) can be considered another violation of your probation.  The more violations on your record, the more the court will frown on your performance if and when you go to a sentencing hearing.  You mentioned that you were depressed and stressed.  If you have any documents that show you have been treated for depression, you should make copies of them.  Next, you need to go report to your probation officer and explain your situation (and take copies of your documents, if any).  Some probation officers are more sympathetic than others, but you will at least get credit for turning yourself in, instead of a warrant division having to drag you back to jail.  If you are up front with your probation officer, they may be able to work with you to modify your probation.  If that’s not an option, request a court appointed attorney after your arrest.  Make sure that your attorney understands your mitigating situation.  If you don’t have any new offenses and you haven’t absconded too long, your chances of getting reinstated are somewhat better. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption