What to do if I had a caraccident but when I contacted my GAP insurer they had no record of me in their system?

UPDATED: Jan 1, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 1, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I had a caraccident but when I contacted my GAP insurer they had no record of me in their system?

I was in an accident and needed to utilize my coverage about 2 months ago. When I contacted my GAP insurance company they had no record of me in their system. I called the dealership to figure out what was going on, and they have taken over a month to take care of this problem. Not only is it still not fully resolved but I am responsible for my loan payments and financially not able to make them for a car that have been totaled for over a month. This has had a negative effect on my credit, since I now have a delinquent account. What should I so?

Asked on January 1, 2012 under Accident Law, New Jersey


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Have you been making the insurance payments for the vehicle that was in the accident where there was "GAP" provisions with respect to it? If so, you need to organize copies of all documents in a chronological order showing that you made the payments. When done, you need to contact the entity to whom payments were being made to and scan, mail and fax a letter with the backup documents showing that the insurance payments have been made. Keep a copy of the sent documentation for future use and need.

I would also contact the insurance carrier for your vehicle about the situation. You must have a policy of insurance for the vehicle. If so, then you need to call the insurance company's representative to discuss the situation that you are in with respect to your damaged car.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption