I co-signed on a car loan for my sister and she filed bankruptcy.

UPDATED: May 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I co-signed on a car loan for my sister and she filed bankruptcy.

3 years ago my sister filed bankruptcy. i cosigned on a car loan for her. since filing the loan has been on my credit report, the amount has never changed. She came into a large amount of money this year and lied about paying the loan off. i want it paid and off my credit report. can i take her to small claims court or is she protected?

Asked on May 11, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Kansas


LAR, Member CA State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The question is not clear.  Did your sister file for bankruptcy AFTER the car loan or did you co-sign the loan because your sister had filed bankruptcy in the past and she needed your good credit to get the loan?

Do you know what Chapter bankruptcy it was?  7 or 13?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption