Do I have any legal recourse if I chocked on a piece of cardboard found in a ready made cup of soup?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any legal recourse if I chocked on a piece of cardboard found in a ready made cup of soup?

Fortunately I did not need medical attention. I complained to the company and sent them a sample of what I chock on and other pieces found in my soup. They analyzed it and said it was corrugated cardboard, apologized and sent me $10 in coupons. Do I have any legal recourse options against them?

Asked on December 30, 2011 under General Practice, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you do not have recourse. The U.S. legal system does not provide compensation for potential or possible injury--it only provides compensation for actual injury, property damage, or costs. If you did not need (and therefore have to pay for) medical attention and have not suffered any serious or lasting injury, you cannot obtain any compensation; therefore, there is no point in taking legal action, since you can't recover any money.

In theory, you could sue and prove they were in the wrong (at fault), even without injury--but all you would receive for it is the dubious satisfaction of having paid  hundreds or thousands of dollars in court, lawyer, etc. fees to prove your point.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption