If I caused a head-on collision but had no car insurance at the time, what do I need to do?

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 19, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I caused a head-on collision but had no car insurance at the time, what do I need to do?

I fell asleep at the traffic light and went the wrong way.

Asked on October 19, 2014 under Accident Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Assuming you are either sued or charged with a crime (or both), you need to retain an attorney. Bear in mind that without insurance, if you are sued and are found liable or responsible--which will almost certainly be the case, since it is negligent or reckless to drive when you are so tired that you fall asleep--you will have to pay any judgment out of pocket; if you don't have the money to pay it, a lien could be placed on your home; your wages could be garnished; personal property or vehicles could be seized and sold; etc. Therefore, if you are sued, in addition to discussing with an attorney how best to defend the case, so as to minimize your liability, you will want to explore bankruptcy as an option if you end up with a judgment against you which you cannot pay.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption