What to do if I can’t get proper documentation from the co-owner of my vehicle to register my car?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I can’t get proper documentation from the co-owner of my vehicle to register my car?

I am the a co-signer on a vehicle with my ex. I am in the process of refinancing the car to remove him from ownership so I can register the car in my current state. He will not provide me the information I need to register the vehicle. The registration is about to expire and I know I have to get this done but he is not cooperating. He does not want the vehicle nor does it want it in his name any longer, he is just trying to make things difficult. Any action I can take?

Asked on October 21, 2011 under Business Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your former boyfriend is being difficult in providing you with the needed information for you to register your vehicle, you should probably contact the nearest department of motor vehicles in your state about the problem you are having and ask for suggestions how to proceed.

Potentially given the problems you are experiencing, the needed information might not be as vital for the registration of the vehicle if you are able to explain to someone with the department of motor vehicles your predicament.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption