If I came into the U.S. illegally as a baby and later married a citizen, can I apply for permanent residency?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I came into the U.S. illegally as a baby and later married a citizen, can I apply for permanent residency?

I was brought involuntarily into the states; I’ve been here for my full 23 years of life. I would

like to know if it’s possible for my wife to apply for me to become a permanent resident and

have our interview here in the states?

Asked on August 9, 2016 under Immigration Law, Texas


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If you did not enter the US lawfully, it does not matter that you may qualiy for DACA but you are not eligible for adjustment of status to permanent residence within the US.  You will have to have your spouse petition for you and then you will need a waiver.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption