If I burned myself on the job and have a huge scar from it, what is a fair amount to ask for?

UPDATED: Aug 4, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I burned myself on the job and have a huge scar from it, what is a fair amount to ask for?

I had 3rd degree burns in my left wrist and it has permanent pigment change.I never missed any work and all medical bills and meds were paid for they r just wanting to settle pain and suffering and mental anguish. Workers comp insurance wants to settle the claim. I just want to get a fair settlement out of the deal not a fortune.

Asked on August 4, 2011 Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Your personal injuries for the severe burn on your left writs and residual scarring are work related injuries subject to your state's worker's compensation laws since your employer had worker's compensation insurance in effect for all employees when the accident occured resulting in your injuries.

If you have a worker's compensation attorney representing you over your claim, you need to defer to him or her over what the residual value of the scarring is on your left wrist assuming your injuries have completely healed for final settlement purposes.

If you do not have one, you should consult with one regarding the value of the residual scarring for settlement purposes. There is no hard and fast rule to set a value for your scarred wrist. In California, depending upon the injury, pain and suffering is usually a multiplier of 2x the special damages of a person (wage loss and medical bills). In your situation you have scarring which would increase the multiplier amount higher in my opinion.

Good luck.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption