What should I do if a lienholder wants substantially more money than the amount their lien was for?

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What should I do if a lienholder wants substantially more money than the amount their lien was for?

I provided 30 days notice to my apt that we had to move as we could not afford

the rate increase and had to break my lease. I was notified of

damages/cleaning/water/sewer/trash fees totaled about 2225.

I expected that we would have to pay a month’s market rent for breaking our

lease, however, the complex is seeking 3221.75 under liquidated damages section

of the lease we did sign. Is this reasonable or would I have any chance of

fighting this in court?

Asked on May 19, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the lease states that the liquidated damages are $3,221.75 or sets forth a calcuation for them that comes to that number, that's what you have to pay: liquidated damages clauses are generally enforceable, so if you signed a lease with such a clause, you are held to it.
They do not have to settle for less, and they do not have to give you a payment plan: if you owe the money under the lease for breaking it, they have the right to insist on payment in full at once. 
If the lease is clear about the damages you owe, then if you breached the lease by terminating early, you would seem to have little chance of winning in court; when a lease or contract is clear and one side violates it, there is little discretion for the court, and the court typically must simply enforce its terms.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption