What to do if I broke my lease and nowmy landlordwants 6 month’s rent?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I broke my lease and nowmy landlordwants 6 month’s rent?

I moved out 8 months ago; I gave notice. I paid rent for the month that I moved out and the fo;;owing 2 months. I also referred a new tenant although they did not take my apartment However they did sign a lease on a different one. Can I get out of this?

Asked on July 29, 2011 Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

When you moved out, how much time was left on the lease that you did not pay for? Two months? Since you admit breaking your lease where time was left on your lease that you did not pay for and the landlord did not get a tenant to take up the time you had left, you would be responsible for the monthly rental rate for the months left early on your lease.

If you left owing rent for 4 months at $500.00 per month, you would owe the landlord $2,000.

If six months were not left on your lease unpaid, you would not be responsible for those months, only those months left under the terms of your lease. The landlord does have an obligation to rent out your former unit as soon as possible so as to minimize his claims for damages and the amount you might owe for unpaid rent.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption