If Ibought a house from my dad but he never moved out, now 2years later how doI get him to leave?

UPDATED: Feb 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Ibought a house from my dad but he never moved out, now 2years later how doI get him to leave?

He pays no rent or bills.

Asked on February 16, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Did your father sell the house he sold to you below market? If he did, then perhaps in his mind he is entitled to remain in it. Rather than serving your own father with a 30 day eviction notice or an unlawful detainer action which is typical in a landlord tenant situation, I would talk to him about perhaps getting his own place or paying some portion of the bills.

My experience is that you really do not want to get into a legal battle with your own parent especially over an item sold to you. You might also consult with a real estate attorney with your father about the situation you have written about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption