If I bought a house for my son and girlfriend to rent but now he’s moving out, what can I do if she wants to stay?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I bought a house for my son and girlfriend to rent but now he’s moving out, what can I do if she wants to stay?

I bought a house for my son his girlfriend and my granddaughter to rent from me fairly cheaply. Now, he is moving out. There is no lease but an agreed upon rent has been paid and is up to date.

Asked on January 20, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not she has a written lease, since this woman pays rent she is a full-fledged tenant under the law. Accordingly, in order to get her out, you will have to serve her notice. Since she has an "oral" lease, you can give her a 30 day notice to quit. If she fails to vacate the premise at that time, then you will have to file an "unlawful detainer (i.e. eviction). In the meantime, take no steps to get her out through self-help measures such as removing her belongings or changing the locks. If you do you could find yourself getting sued for unlawful eviction. For the specifc process and procedures for lawful eviction you can check online, with a local real estate attoreny, or with a legal services organization.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption