If I bought a house and have now found out that the furnace system was installed incorrectly,is there anythingI can do?

UPDATED: Jan 6, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I bought a house and have now found out that the furnace system was installed incorrectly,is there anythingI can do?

We bought a house 2 years ago that was realtor owned. We have been fighting what we thought was a roof issue. Come to find out it is a heating and cooling issue that is causing a wet moldy wall, a now wet floor and possible carbon monoxide back up in the chimneybecause the furnace system was improperly installed. When we bought the house the realtors told me they installed the furnace. Is there anything we can do or do we just have to fix it?

Asked on January 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the furnace system was improperly installed just before close of escrow when you bought the property, the installed and possibly the property owner and any person who retained the person who installed the furnace could be responsible for any accrued damages.

You need to be aware that some statute of limitations may have run to bar the claim. As such, you should consult with a real estate attorney about the situation that you have written about. Possibly given the amount of your damages claimed (costs of repair), small claims court might be an option for you to resolve the dispute if you cannot get it settled by way of a demand letter and providing information to the target parties supporting your claim for liability and damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption