If 2 parcels of land are on 1 deed, how doI get the land split so that each parcel has its own deed?

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 25, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If 2 parcels of land are on 1 deed, how doI get the land split so that each parcel has its own deed?

I bought 2 parcels of land and the sellers put both parcels on 1 quitclaim deed. How do I go about getting these parcels split (a deed for each one) as they were?

Asked on August 25, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You may want to consult with an attorney on this matter as it is my understanding that Ohio requires not only a notary to witness a deed but additional witnesses as well.  Additionally some counties require that the county Auditor approve the filing in the first instance. You are going to have to have 2 separate deeds prepared and re-file the deeds with the County Registrar or County Recorder.  Your best bet is to go down to the county in which the land is located and ask them how they want you to handle it.  You may have to provide the deeds prior to their conveyance to you to prove that the property had 2 separate deeds prior to their conveyance to you.  It will probably a bit frustrating and time consuming but it will not be impossible.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption