What to do if I believe that my mother is being frauded out of death benefits from her father’s life insurance policy?

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I believe that my mother is being frauded out of death benefits from her father’s life insurance policy?

My grandfather became very ill/senile so my mother filed for Power of Attorney. She then submitted a Change of Beneficiary form to change the beneficiary to her name. It’s been nearly a year now; the insurance company first denied they received her change form, then they claim it’s still in review, It’s always a different excuse. Earlier this year, her father passed away. Now she wants to file a death benefits claim but is afraid to because the insurer refuses/denies to confirm the beneficiary has been changed. Is this fraud? What can she do next?

Asked on June 28, 2013 under Insurance Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Given the situation that you have written about and the delay for payment under the life insurance policy of your grandfather, your mother should consult with an attorney experienced in life insurance policies and payment such as a Wills and trust attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption