Is stopping payment on a check the same as writing a bad check?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is stopping payment on a check the same as writing a bad check?

I bailed my ex-boyfriend out of jail about 9 months ago. The bondsman had me sign checks with aounts on them. We then broke up and he went to jail, while still owing bailbondsman around $1,000. I stopped payment on the checks, as he was in jail and we were no longer together. Now, they are thretening to prosecute me and send me to jail for passing bad checks. They still have the checks they showed them to me. Can I go to jail for this?

Asked on January 5, 2014 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, stopping payment on a check where there is sufficient money in the account to make good on the check is nit the same as writing a check that will not clear. If you had a valid reason to stop payment on the check, you did nothing wrong.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption