If I backed up into a parked vehicle, what can I do if I’m being asked for $1,500 for a tiny dent?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I backed up into a parked vehicle, what can I do if I’m being asked for $1,500 for a tiny dent?

I found its owner and we both agreed not to call the police or report it to our insurance companies. The woman who’s car I hit said it was only a tiny dent in the front bumper and that her family had repair shops, not to worry. She left and didn’t contact me for 6 weeks. Now she wants $1500 for that tiny dent? What do I do?

Asked on December 10, 2015 under Accident Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

This sounds like a scam.
Ask the owner of the car you hit to provide a written estimate of the damage from a repair shop NOT owned by her family to verify the accuracy of the cost of repairs.  If she refuses to do that, refer the matter to your insurance company and let your insurance company handle it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption