i applied for credit cards in my adult childs name and now i can’t afford to pay the bills!

UPDATED: May 29, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 29, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

i applied for credit cards in my adult childs name and now i can’t afford to pay the bills!

I don’t want to ruin my child’s credit, especially since she is unaware that i’ve applied for several credit cards in her name. I’ve maxed out several cards, have made payments on time for the past 3 years, but now with the economy I can’t make the payments. What can I do so I don’t ruin my child’s credit?

Asked on May 29, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, California


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately the facts come down to this, if you don't make the payments this will negatively affect your child's credit.

Additionally it is actually not legal to apply for credit in another persons name and that is another issue that I will not address at this point. As for the credit you need to contact the companies ask to set up a cure which is a settlement amount and than you must pay as agreed upon. Otherwise you will have to make payments as with any other credit card agreement

Additionally the cure may not be a positive aspect on the credit score. The only way not to injure a persons credit is to pay the bills on time. other than that there is no simple solution

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption