What to do ifIapplied for an apartment and gave them $200 downbut Iwas denied?

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do ifIapplied for an apartment and gave them $200 downbut Iwas denied?

I still haven’t received my money; it’s holding me back from moving. I’ve been waiting for a month. Is there a way I can take them to court to get my money back?

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you made an application for an apartment and you have not received its return, what was the $200.00 given for? Was it for a background check of you or was it a deposit?

Did you sign anything where the $200.00 would be used for a check upon you as part of the application process that the landlord expected you to pay for? In all likelihood the $200.00 that you placed was for a deposit to secure the apartment you wanted in the hope that your application would be approved.

If the $200.00 was a deposit, you are entitled to its return. I would write the person a letter seeking its return within a certain period of time. Keep a copy of the letter for future use. If you do not receive the return of your deposit within the time demanded, your option is small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption