I am upside down in my house and can not make my payments

UPDATED: May 22, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 22, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am upside down in my house and can not make my payments

Due to a recalculation in my escrow my payment has increased to the point where I can not make my payments. I want to walk away but feel like there is no way. I owe $25,000.00 more than y house will appraise for.

Asked on May 22, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You can try to get a mortgage modification with your lender.  This might more than make-up for your escrow increase.  You may or may not get it but if you want to stay in your house it's worth a try.

You can also consider a bankruptcy but you didn't mention your overall financial situation.  This is a more drastic solution but if you have many other liabilities it may be for you .

There is also the possibility of a short sale or deed in lie of foreclosure.

Your best bet is to talk with a financial advisor and mull over your options.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption