What to do if I’m trying to file ch 7 on my own and concerned about the request for 6 months of paystubs?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if I’m trying to file ch 7 on my own and concerned about the request for 6 months of paystubs?

My employer provides tuition reimbursement for my graduate program and unfortunately has reimbursed me approx $5,200 (max allowable per year) over the past 6 months. This skews my monthly income by approx $1,000 per month – I don’t make that much normally. Will this disqualify me?

Asked on September 18, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Missouri


Tricia Dwyer / Tricia Dwyer Esq & Associates PLLC

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Hello. Your question is not answered with any simple 'yes/no'. You should have attorney counsel and advice and guidance. It is possible that bankruptcy may not be appropriate for you. Some attorneys are available seven days for emergency legal needs. Many attorneys will speak initially at no charge. Then, if legal work is performed, some attorneys will provide a reduced fee for financial hardship. Some attorneys may also assist you in a limited scope manner to conserve legal costs. All the best.



Tricia Dwyer, Esq & Associates PLLC

Phone: 612-296-9666

365 Days of the Year until 8 p.m. daily



Terence Fenelon / Law Offices of Terence Fenelon

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The question is impossible to answer without more facts.  What is your regular income?  What are your expenses?  Do you have any dependants?  Are the educational expenses listed as a proper educational expense in the form 23, means test?  Questions such as yours cannot be answered in a vacumm.  That's why most peoplehire attorneys.  To give professional advice on matters that must be viewed as a whole when considering the filing.

Perhaps the local bankruptcy Court or county Bar Association has a referral desk to answer such questions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption