If Iwas the victim of an assaultand battery and have incurred medical costs, how do I collect?

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 25, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iwas the victim of an assaultand battery and have incurred medical costs, how do I collect?

The person that committed the crime is from one state and this all happened in another state. People are telling me that it’s unlikely he’ll even make the court date. What are my chances of recovering the $500 in medical costs? Will I need to hire an attorney of my own to get it?

Asked on October 25, 2011 under Personal Injury, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Assault and battery are both criminal and civil.  In addition to the criminal charges, you can file a lawsuit in the civil case.  Before filing the lawsuit, you should obtain your medical bills, medical reports, and documentation of any wage loss.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of your injury and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering, which is an amount in addition to the medical bills.  Since assault and battery are intentional acts, you might want to consider a claim for punitive damages which is a substantial amount to punish the defendant for an intentional, malicious act.

A lawsuit can be filed where the plaintiff resides or where the defendant resides or where the claim arose.  You could file your lawsuit in IL where you live or in the state where the defendant lives or in the state where the incident occurred.  For convenience purposes such as filing documents with the court and court appearances, it would be preferable to file the lawsuit in IL where you reside.  When you file your lawsuit with the court, you will need to have the defendant served with your documents.  You can have a process server in or near the city where the defendant lives, serve the defendant with your summons and complaint (the complaint is the lawsuit attached to the summons).  When you get a court judgment against the defendant, you can get a wage garnishment to enforce the judgment.  It would be advisable to be represented by an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption