How can you remove the executor of a Will?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can you remove the executor of a Will?

I am the sole heir to my maternal grandparents’ estate. My mother passed away when I was 5 so they legally adopted me. My grandpa has passed and my grandma suffered a major stroke. I understand that it can be difficult to change or remove the executor. How might I be proceed in changing him? I’ll provide name if/when needed. I have voice mails that were disrespectful and he was unwilling to answer simple questions. This lack of communication has lead to the loss of at least 1.5 million. I only had 3 questions for him and none were answered and I was told all communication needed to cease. My best interests as well as my daughters have been violated.

Asked on May 27, 2017 under Estate Planning, Colorado


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can file a petition with the probate court to have the executor removed and a successor appointed. Attach a declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the supporting facts. Attach a proof of service (court form).
File your documents with the court and then mail a copy to the executor. The proof of service verifies the date of mailing. perjuring

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption