If I ama landlord and my tenant died, how long do I have to give their grown children who were living with her to vacate property?

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I ama landlord and my tenant died, how long do I have to give their grown children who were living with her to vacate property?

They are  not paying any rent.

Asked on December 19, 2011 under Real Estate Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If the grown children are living in the rental that their deceased parent and former tenant lived in but they are not paying any rent, you need to do the following:

1. meet with the adult children as to whether or not they want to sign a lease for the rental.

2. if they do not, then they need to vacate the rental either voluntarily or by you serving them with a 30 day notice of evicition.

3. if the adult children do not vacate after service of the 30 day notice of eviction, your option is to bring an unlawful detainer action against them.

You might need to retain a landlord tenant attorney to assist you later on.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption