What will happen if I am the at-fault driver in an accident and had no insurance?

UPDATED: Feb 6, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 6, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What will happen if I am the at-fault driver in an accident and had no insurance?

They say that I can’t get my license back without paying the damage and hospital costs of the other party. Is this true?

Asked on February 6, 2014 under Accident Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Essentially yes--you have to either enter into an agreement to pay the damages; get a release from paying damages from the other party; or get a judgment (e.g. from a court; if you contest being at fault) that you are not liable. Without one of these, you will generally not be able to get your license back, though you can apply to the court for a hearing about getting your license back, but will have to post a deposit with the court (as security against future accidents), which I believe the court may hold onto for up to two years. You should speak with a NV attorney about your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption