If I am renting a house that was recently condemned by the city, do I still have to pay rent or canI use the money to move?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am renting a house that was recently condemned by the city, do I still have to pay rent or canI use the money to move?

Asked on August 27, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You have no right to stay in someone else's property without paying for it. The fact that the home was condemmed may very likely give you the right to terminate the lease (though to be sure, you need to consult with an attorney, who can evaluate the lease terms and your specific situation in detail); however, even if that is the case, until your occupancy is terminated properly, you will owe money for possesing and residing in the home. So again, while you need to check with an attorney about this exact situation and the terms of your particular lease, the most likely answer is that you can find good grounds to terminate the lease and move, but will owe the landlord for the use of the space until you do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption