If I am renting a house and our heater stopped working, are we responsible for the repair bill?

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am renting a house and our heater stopped working, are we responsible for the repair bill?

The owner of the house sent someone to fix it and they sent us the bill.

Asked on January 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


Madan Ahluwalia / Ahluwalia Law Professional Corporation

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In California, the landlord has a duty to maintain and repair the premises and provide a habitable residence for tenants.  Heating obviously falls under the umbrella of habitable premises. That cost is almost always on the landlord, not the tenant, alhough you should check your lease agreement for any contrary language.

For additional reference, check out Calif. Civ. Code Section 1941 et seq.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption