If I am recently married and we have no joint debts or accounts, will I be affected by my spouse’s bankruptcy?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am recently married and we have no joint debts or accounts, will I be affected by my spouse’s bankruptcy?

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your just got married and your spouse filed for bankruptcy protection in his or her name, you yourself will not be adversely affected directly by the bankruptcy filing. However, in the future you may suffer some adverse fallout as the result of the bankruptcy if you and your spouse both apply to obtain credit or a loan.

The reason is that his or her bankruptcy filing will show up and its showing may cause a decline on any loan or credit card application that both of you may jointly be seeking.

I suggest that for the immediate future any loans or credit card applications sought by you and your spouse be palced solely by you with only your information.

Good question.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption