What to do if my ex-husband who lives out of the counrty now wants copies of our daughter’s birth records, etc?

UPDATED: Jan 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my ex-husband who lives out of the counrty now wants copies of our daughter’s birth records, etc?

I am recently divorced from a Brazilian living in Brazil; I am a US citizen and live in the US with my 5 year old daughter, of whom I have custody (she is also a US citizen). My ex-husband would like copies or originals of her birth certificate and our marriage certificate. hould I be concerned of his intentions or is this normal for him to want and need to have? I’m concerned that he’s trying to take my daughter away.

Asked on January 11, 2013 under Family Law, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country unless you are under a court order to provide the documentation to your "ex" you have no legal obligation to do so. As such, I would ignore such requests. To be on the safe side, I would consult with a family law attorney about your concerns.

If your children do not have an American passport, I would get one of reach of them and keep them in your own safety deposit box for safety reasons.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption