If I’m paying the bills on my mother’s house, should I be put on the deed as joint tenancy?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m paying the bills on my mother’s house, should I be put on the deed as joint tenancy?

My mother recently moved to my sister’s for in-home care. I pay my mother’s mortgage and all household bills. I reside in her home. Everything is in my mother’s name. Can I assume her existing mortgage? How can my 2 sister’s and myself split the property? The home is in a family Trust.

Asked on September 18, 2018 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

1) You can't assume the existing mortgage; mortgages always have terms preventing assumption of them. The bank wants you to replace/refinance it--they make more money that way.
2) If the house is in a trust, even a family trust, the trustee would have to agree to put you on the title/deed. The trustee might, since there is good value being received (paying the mortgage, bills), but you can't assume they will: they have the right to decline.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption