If I am paying for liability plus uninsured motorists insurance, how much coverage am I entitled to?

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am paying for liability plus uninsured motorists insurance, how much coverage am I entitled to?

My parked vehicle was involved in a hit and run incident. Unfortunately I was unable to catch the guilty party’s license plates number or get a description of the vehicle at fault by the time I got outside; the culprit had already fled the scene. We searched around the scene of the accident but didn’t find anything on the other car. By CA law am I entitled to any type of coverage for my loss and damages? My insurance has denied me any coverage at all for my case. What can I do?

Asked on July 26, 2011 California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Liability insurance does not cover damage to your own vehicle. Rather, liability insurance provides payment for any money you would owe (and any legal fees to defend yourself) you caused to another person or another person's property. So it is the other driver's liabilty insurance that would pay for your car if the other driver was at fault, but if you can't locate that person, that does not help you. The type  of coverage that would pay for damage to your own car would be collision coverage; if you have that, then barring some specific exclusion, which the insurer would have to point to and identify, you should be able to receive compensation; but if  you only had liabilty, that would not, unfortunately, help you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption