I am owed commissions. I live in Charlotte County, FL. The business is located in Seminole, FL. Can I file down here?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

I am owed commissions. I live in Charlotte County, FL. The business is located in Seminole, FL. Can I file down here?

I signed up with a company as an affiliate. They are now refusing to give me my
commissions. I have bank statements showing monies was never received. I have
emails from the stating they already paid me. I wrote a bad review of them on BBB
now when I ask for my money they just copy and paste my review as their replay.

Asked on January 28, 2018 under Business Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

There is a good chance you can sue in your county of residence. For a court to have to jurisdiction, or power, over a case, there must be a sufficient contact or connection between the defendant and the court's county. If the company chose deliberately to hire someone living your county as an affiliate, your local court could easily conclude that the voluntary decision to hire someon in its county constitutes sufficient connection as to convey jurisdiction.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption