If I am one of the beneficiaries of a trust, is the trustee required give me a copy of the trust?

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am one of the beneficiaries of a trust, is the trustee required give me a copy of the trust?

If he does not supply me with any information or a copy is it a breach of trust? And he has told me I won’t receive money until age 20 than 30 and now its age 35. Does that sound correct or should I be concerned?

Asked on November 30, 2011 under Estate Planning, California


Sharon Siegel / Siegel & Siegel, P.C.

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a beneficiairy is entitled to full disclosure, including a copy of the trust, finances, etc.  If you have asked the trustee and you have not been successful, this is strange and could be cuase to suspect foul play.  You should consult a lawyer in NY.

Sharon M. Siegel, Esq.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption