If I am on probation for DWI and was given an ETG that will be positive, what do I do now?

UPDATED: Jun 25, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am on probation for DWI and was given an ETG that will be positive, what do I do now?

I am new to probation and was under the impression I can’t buy alcohol, drive after drinking, or go to an establishment. Unfortunately today at my probation officers they sent me for ETG and I had 4 beers at a friend’s BBQ Saturday night. I spent the night there then left in my car with an interlock. She informed me I cannot drink any alcohol at all on probation so it will come back dirty and be a violation. I think. What do I do now to prepare myself for what’s coming and any other advice you may have for me would be very much appreciated.

Asked on June 25, 2012 under Criminal Law, New Mexico


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Well it appears that you have violated the terms and conditions of your probation. 

First, the probation officer will contact the prosecutor and inform them of your probation violation.  The prosecutor may file an order to show cause.  If, the prosector files an order to show cause you and your attorney will have a opportunity to discuss the prosecutors recommendations for the judge. 

Usually, if it is a misunderstanding, you can ask the court to revoke and reinstate your probation.  That would just start your probation over and give you a chance to be successful. 

The judge has a lot of discretion on what he will do.  Of course, the judge could just violate you and have you serve the jail sentence he previously stayed.

Hope this helps.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption