If I am on felony deferred adjudication and about to marry a military soldier, will it affect us?

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I am on felony deferred adjudication and about to marry a military soldier, will it affect us?

I only have a little over a year left, with only fees to pay. We are supposed to get married next month. Will this affect my dependency or our benefits like BAH. We wanted to get a house near Ft. Hood since that is where he is stationed.

Asked on June 21, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, since you have technically not been convicted of the felony by a way of a final decree since you are still on deferred adjudication, your situation with the law really should have no effect per se if you marry a person who is in the military with respect to him or her or receipt of assorted benefits.

Assuming you are successful with respect to your deferred adjudication process where the charge ends up being dismissed with prejudice, I suggest that you retain a criminal defense attorney to file a petition for you to have your file concerning this criminal matter sealed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption