If Iam on a lease which my girlfriend and I resigned for the 1st of next month but she wants me to leave, do I still have to pay my portion of the rent?

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If Iam on a lease which my girlfriend and I resigned for the 1st of next month but she wants me to leave, do I still have to pay my portion of the rent?

My girlfriend wants me to leave to make room for 2 of her ex-boyfriends who I have had issues with in the past. She told me she doesn’t care where I go just as long as I am out by the 1st. Our new lease, which we both signed, starts that day. What can I do so I won’t be responsible for my portion of the rent during that lease? If I am removed by the cops, I don’t feel I am responsible for the rent.

Asked on December 18, 2011 under Real Estate Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your girlfriend wants you to leave the rental that you signed a written lease for and you want to minimize your liability exposure to the landlord, I suggest the following be done:

1. have the two new roommates (ex-boyfriends of your girlfriend) sign a sublease with you.

2. inquire if your landlord would sign a document where you would no longer be liable under the lease that you signed.

3. have your girlfriend sign an agreement where she would be primarily responsible for any rental issues concerning the rental that you are vacating.

4. consult with a landlord tenant attorney about the situation you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption