What can I do if I’m unable to pay a ticket?

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if I’m unable to pay a ticket?

I am unable to pay a $168 ticket due to unemployment. May I suggest to a judge that I be sentenced to community service or even jail time instead of money? I simply do not have it. What now?

Asked on July 29, 2011 North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you do not presently have the money to pay the $168.00 ticket, you have the following options to eliminate the fine: 1. ask the judge to pay the $168.00 over time in monthly amounts that you can afford, 2. ask for work service if the county you have to appear for the violation has such as a means to pay off the fine.

The court systems in this country rarely sentences someone to jail for a penalty that calls for a $168.00 fine for a ticket.

Another option is perhaps borrowing the money from a friend to pay the fine?

The most likely result for you if you cannot pay the $168.00 ticket is that the judge will set a monthly installment plan for you to pay off the fine.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption