Will a sealed record from when I was a minor show up in a background check?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Will a sealed record from when I was a minor show up in a background check?

I am interested in becoming a corrections officer. I had an arrest when I was 17 years old about 10 years ago for menacing; it was sealed after staying out of trouble for 6 months. Do I need to report this?

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It really depends on how you were charged, pled and where your case was adjudicated.  In New York there are three types of ways you could have been charged and adjudicated: juvenile delinquency adjudication (held in Family Court), youthful offender adjudication, or juvenile offender adjudication (both held in adult court).  Record of a minor are supposed to be sealed upon adjudication and if the case is terminated, various records are destroyed: such as fingerprints, palm prints, or photographs.  But I say "supposed to" because often things go wrong.  You should always run a background check on yourself.  Now, criminal justice agencies will have access to the sealed records regardless so being honest and up front is probably the best road to take.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption