If my husband moved out the house 2 month ago without first giving me notice, can I now change the locks?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband moved out the house 2 month ago without first giving me notice, can I now change the locks?

He comes by every 3-4 weeks to get things. He wants to come tomorrow and get a TV and other things. He has not paid the mortgage for almost 2 months, not even the untilities, nothing. I do not want him to come with other people and I am not around.

Asked on November 15, 2015 under Family Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Until there is a final divorce decree or other court order issued, both spouses have equal rights to the "marital residence". This is true no matter whose name the deed/lease is in and whether or not one of the spoues's has moved out. Therefore, you cannot lock him out.
The above holds true as long as our husband has not put you in fear of your safety. At that point, you could get an emergency protective order to keep him from entering the residence.
  At this point, you really should consult directly with your attorney; they can best advise you further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption