If a beneficiary dies, what happens to their inheritance?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a beneficiary dies, what happens to their inheritance?

My aunt and mother both just recently passed. I know my aunt had a Will. My mother was the beneficiary. Now what happens to the will and money now that my mother is gone? I am in jail.

Asked on October 2, 2014 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your losses.  It really depends on who died first and what the Will states about it all. There are a bunch of different scenarios and the facts will determine the end result. But I think that you want to know if you would inherit. There is a possibility that if your Mother would have inherited then her estate will inherit and then you would inherit too.  Just check if your state has a reimbursement statute for the incarcerated. In other words, the State can come after you for the cost of your incarceration.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption